Thursday, August 12, 2010

When you were a young girl, what type of rollers/pins, did your Mom use ?

I had bobby pins, rollers which would stab you if you tried to lay down (remember those pink picks?), pink spongy rollers with an attached clip and spools that you rolled your hair around and then they pushed together to hold the hair. I think my Mom used everything she could find to keep curl in my very straight hair! LOL!





How about you?When you were a young girl, what type of rollers/pins, did your Mom use ?
My mom and friends used bobby pins. they use to put up their hair and play cards. When you lost you lost a curl--unwound. We used the pink scratchy kind and the soft spongy pink was were a great invention. I had friends later who used the short fat juice cans for body. My grandmother told me about the rag curls but we didn't use them...and ah the awful stench of a home perm. Did anyone ever look attractive in one?When you were a young girl, what type of rollers/pins, did your Mom use ?
As a Boy, growing up in the 1950's, from ages 5-11, my mother gave me home permanents every 2-3 months and set my hair using bobbi pins, then a combination of small rollers at the top and aluminum clip curls at the sides; finally to all small plastic rollers,

Report Abuse



I lived with my aunt and never saw my mom. Aunt Peg used to wind up my hair in ripped up sheet material and called it ';rag curls';. I used bobby pins ater I got to be a teenager and fixed my own hair. Now, I wouldn't set my hair if I had to visit the White House! LOL


PS: I'm 66
Irish....red hair...meaning lots of curls! The only thing I can remember anyone doing is putting my hair in ringlets...it was usually my grandmother who did it. By the time I was 13 or so, I began a crusade to get rid of those curls...everything from giant rollers, actually ironing it on the ironing board, and reverse perms. Isn't it funny how we weren't happy with what we had and were determined to have to opposite?!
My mom used those big plastic rollers with those straight pink pins
My mom used those bristly rollers that were like porkupines....lol. And she twisted her hair around in a circle and bobby pinned it. This will date me I'm sure...but when I went to boarding school the girls used juice cans to roll their hair sometimes and actually ironed their hair....think both were to straighten...not curl. My grandma used to make one long braid and wrap it around her head like a crown....I thought it looked awesome!
I guess we were kind of poor. My mother wound my hair up in little strips of cloth. I dont know where she got the strips, but they really made good curls and I could sleep with them in. It was a lot better than the perm I got that only affected half of my head. I was part Shirley Temple and part Alfalfa.
They were metal and Plastic rolleres
none....very curly hair! Now I use them to straighten it out a bit and get it going in the right direction!
I used the prickly kind with pink pins. Then I used plastic. I used to sleep on those things. My mother used to wind her hair in pin curls with bobby pins. I remember using a setting lotion called Get Set. It made my hair all stiff after I put the rollers in. I still put my hair in rollers, but mostly I use a curling iron now. I like it curly.
Makes my head hurt to think about it. Those bristly rollers that got tangeled in my hair. Oouch!! Almost impossible to sleep on. Probably why my hair is so thin and fly away and straight as a board. Remember the portable dryers with the plastic caps that attached by hose? Yeah, the pain of being pretty. As a small child my Grandma used to roll my hair on rags and bobby pin them. I looked like Shirley Temple.


Now days I just pull my hair up, no more rollers for this girl:~)
I had Indian-straight hair. Mom gave up and made me wear braids, after burning my hair with that awful, stinky, ';Tonette'; home perm.
She made pin curls with bobby pins, and I've had my share of home-permanents. One so bad, I wouldn't go out of the house and all I did was cry. It was horrible, horrible,horrible!!!
Well, my mom never tried to curl my hair (I was a very independent tomboy from babyhood) but she used the brushy kind with the pink plastic pins or bobby pins.





My aunt (my mom's closest sister) put the little braids all over my cousins head to make her hair wavy.





I just wore my hair however it was and only combed or brushed it when I was told. That is until I decided to cut it all off in the early 80's. While all the other girls were feathering their Farrah Fawcett hair, I looked like a boy in boot camp- ha ha! My mom was embarassed but my dad thought it looked good!
In elementary school my mom set my hair in aluminum curlers about the size of your pinkie finger. They had a clip attached to hold them in. My hair had tight, ugly curls and a dent from the securing device across each one.





In high school used to sleep on rollers that were probably1-1/2'; in diameter, made out of a springy wire covered in plastic mesh with a brush in the middle. Every night I would take my bath and set my hair. I don't know how I could never sleep on those curlers now.





Some of the girls set their hair on soup cans to straighten it, some even ironed their long blond hair.





I also had those pink spool curlers you mentioned, and pink spongy rollers.
My mama used sponge rollers on me but she gave me my first perm at 9 months. I can't believe she did that... can't believe I sat still long enough for her to do it. She said it looked really cute.
My mother never did anything with her hair, but I did ! I used the big rollers with the pins that stuck into your head - and because my hair was very think, I'd have to sleep in them...ouch !!! Then when straight hair became fashionable, I used to iron it.....now that was difficult ! You'd kneel next to the ironing board, pull your hair straight across the board with one hand (also holding a piece of paper over the hair to protect it) and then with the other hand, press the hair with the iron. I worked pretty well, actually, and the hair would stay straight for a couple of days. Much like the straightening appliances today. It was all fun !
dippity do, tissue and bobby pins


wow... that's a ways back%26lt;%26gt;%26lt;
I had pink ones with the picks, then the pink ones with bristles, then spoolies. My mom tried setting my hair with pin curls, unfortunately, I looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket, so rewashed my hair and went to school with it wet. I do remember the stinky Tonettes too!





My grandmother just braided my hair. My boy cousin wouldn't let me go fishing with him because I was a girl, so he cut my braids off so I could be a boy!! Now, that was a GRAND haircut!
my sisters used spoolies my mom used bobby pins
My hair has some natural curl. My mother's hair was straight, but her solution to any hair problem was to cut it off; and, personally I agree with her. I have more important things to do than to mess with hair.
My Mother used Bobby pins on my hair as a child. When I was a teenager I at first used Spoolies (remember them?) and Dippity Doo. I then moved on to those prickly brush rollers except occasionally when I got my hair professionally done and I would wrap it in toilet paper and cover it with a night cap for as long as it stayed in. No more curling for me, now I pin it up everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment